Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I created this Italian inspired green beans recipe because I was tired of just plain beans. This has a hint of sweetness due to the red onions and balsamic vinegar and is certainly something different than the norm. I like to prepare this with Roast Beef and roasted potatoes.
- 1 lb frozen green beans or 1 lb fresh green beans
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup Canadian bacon, chopped roughly
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup potato, skinned & chopped in 1/2 inch squares
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a skillet with a lid heat oil.
- Add onions and Canadian bacon, and caramelize for a few minutes and then add garlic and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, potatoes, vinegar, salt, pepper, basil and oregano. Stir well and cover.
- Reduce heat and simmer until beans and potatoes are done, about 45 minutes.