Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this somewhere on the internet, and if the internet is to be believed it originated in "Foods of the World: The Cooking of India", Time-Life Books. The original recommends some fancy preparation using fresh green beans, but I just use frozen and it works fine.
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb green beans, frozen
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a skillet or wok heat the butter over moderate heat and melt it.
- Add the mustard seeds and fry for 30 seconds (I stop when they start popping).
- Thoroughly stir in the onions, ginger, salt and pepper, and drop in the green beans and the crushed red pepper and fry for 5 minutes longer.
- Add the coconut and cilantro.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
- Cook for 10 minutes more or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve as soon as you can.