Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A tasty green bean casserole with a little bite.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh green beans or 2 (16 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- If using fresh beans, prepare and cook beans, cut into 1 inch pieces, until crisp tender.
- Plunge quickly into icewater to stop cooking.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Toss beans with salad oil, vinegar, onion, salt, garlic and pepper.
- Pour into ungreased 1 qt casserole.
- Stir together the bread crumbs, cheese and butter; sprinkle over the beans.
- Bake uncovered about 30 minutes, or until heated through.
These were excellent, Leta. Easy, peasy to prepare and easy, peasy to eat. Used canned French cut beans. Every thing else was to the T. Came out great, no leftovers! Thnx for posting, Leta, we will have these again.
I used frozen beans partially defrosted in microwave, they were not cooked. I also used fresh onions, two tbsp. The results were perfect. I did not know green beans could taste so good. Slighty tangy, fresh but savory, not over cooked or undercooked green bean recipe. THIS IS THE WAY TO EAT YOUR GREENS! My children and husband really loved this dish.
This is my favorite green bean recipe and I take to to family functions where it is always devoured. I have used frozen and fresh green beans. My recipe calls for 1 TBL vinegar and uses olive oil but is otherwise the same.