Recipe by Stella Mae
I've had this recipe since 1968, cut from the local newspaper, and served at a large backyard party. It's been a favorite dish for many occasions, good for a buffet at home or to take to a potluck. You can easily halve this recipe for a smaller group.
Top Review by Connie Lea
This was really good. I did have to cut down the amounts as my DH won't eat green beans (he ate some tainted home canned green beans when he was young). I will definitely be making this again.
- 6 (9 ounce) packages frozen Italian cut green beans
- 3 cups celery, diced, about 8 stalks
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 (10 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon basil, minced
- 1⁄2 cup toasted slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam the beans until crispy, not quite done-- set aside.
- Saute celery in butter until softened-- set aside.
- Combine chicken broth, flour and seasonings in a saucepan.
- Stir and cook over medium heat until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans and celery and mix well.
- Pour mixture into 2, 4 quart casserole dishes.
- Bake at 350 degrees 25 minutes or until sauce bubbles.