Recipe by Judy from Hawaii
If you love shrimp, tomatoes, & feta cheese, this one is for you. It is similar to others in the Zaar database, but enough different that I think it is worth posting. It is from the local newspaper, the yellow newsprint a testiment to how many years it's been in my files.
Top Review by Z-cook
That's what I love about this website. Searched for Greek Shrimp and had 88 choices! I made an excellent choice with this one. We had a similar dish in Santorini a few years back and I really wanted to have it again. This was exactly what I was looking for with all the ingredients I had on hand. So very good...... I highly recommend giving it a try. I will certainly make this again and again.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups peeled cubed tomatoes, preferably fresh,about one pound whole
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh medium-sized shrimp, about 48,peeled,deveined,leaving the last tail segment on
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 lb crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄3 lb rigatoni pasta or 1⁄3 lb ziti pasta or 1⁄3 lb spiral shaped pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in skillet, and add the garlic.
- Cook briefly, stirring, then add the tomatoes.
- Cook about one minute and add the salt, pepper, wine, basil,& oregano.
- Cook over medium heat, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the shrimp with salt& pepper.
- Heat the remaining 4 Tablespoons of oil in a large skillet and add the shrimp.
- Cook quickly for about 1 minute, just until the shrimp turns red.
- Sprinkle with the red pepper flakes.
- Spoon the shrimp& any pan juices into a small baking dish.
- Sprinkle the shrimp with the crumbled feta cheese.
- Spoon the tomato sauce over the shrimp& cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rigatoni according to the directions on the package and drain.
- Do not overcook.
- Serve the rigatoni with the shrimp mixture spooned over it.