Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a heartier version of French onion soup.
- 32 ounces canned beef broth
- 3⁄4 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb orzo pasta
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 stalks celery
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in large pan and sautee onions in 2 T. butter until browned.
- Add 32 ounces beef broth to pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- In the meantime, chop the parsley and mix into the ground lamb.
- Melt remaining 2 T butter in frying pan and brown the lamb mixture.
- When broth is boiling, add the orzo, lamb, bay leaves, black pepper and celery stalks.
- Simmer over low heat about 10 minutes.
- Remove celery stalks and bay leaves.
- Transfer soup into a large oven proof caserole or a dutch oven.
- Cover soup with croutons and cheese.
- Do not cover.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until broth is bubbly and cheese is melted.