Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From Canadian Living... Easy one thanks to the amazing slow cooker!! Posted for ZWT #6!
- 3 lbs boneless lamb shoulder
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 onions, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (398 ml) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Trim fat from lamb and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- In a shallow dutch oven, heat oil over med high heat, then brown lamb in batches and add to slow cooker.
- Drain fat from dutch oven, then add onions, garlic, rind, salt, allspice and cinnamon, frying over med heat, stirring occasionally until onions are softened (about 5 minutes).
- Sprinkle with flour - cook stirring, for 1 minute. Add beef stock & tomato paste, then bring to a boil and stir and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 4 - 5 hours, until the lamb is tender.
- Stir in artichokes, then cover and cook for 15 minutes to heat through. Serve sprinkled with feta and parsley!
Really delicious, richly-flavoured stew. The warm spices just lend themselves to making one of the best gravies ever. Served over buttered orzo.
This was really good. The recipe makes a pretty thick stew. I needed a bit more volume, so added 4 more cups of beef broth and 1/4 cup cornstarch dissolved in water (to keep it thick). Flavor was amazing.
Sensational stew. You should smell my kitchen -- heavenly. I halved the recipe, but was a bit heavy-handed with the artichoke hearts. I have a 2-kilo jar of them, and guessed generously. I don't own a slow cooker, so put this in the oven for about four hours at just under 100-degrees Centigrade.