Greek Lamb Stew With Feta
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons plain flour
- 800 g leg of lamb, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onions (American) or 1 brown onion, diced (Australian)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaf, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 300 g pasta, cooked according to packet directions
- Place flour in a snap-log bag, add lamb and shake to coat.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan, preferably non-stick, over a medium heat, and add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes; increase the heat to medium high and add the lamb and cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes or until browned.
- Add the stock and the wine and bring to the boil; reduce the heat to low; cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for one hour.
- Add zucchini and cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until the lamb is tender and the gravy has thickened; season to taste with pepper and salt.
- Combine the mint, olives and feta and sprinkle over the stew.
- Serve with the pasta.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was fantastic! I have made Greek stews in the past with slightly different ingredients, I increased the garlic way up to 8 cloves also added in some crushed chili flakes, and also did other amount adjustments, I used lamb shoulder instead of the leg, his tastes even better the following day, thanks for this great recipe Bluemoon!
I used a full 2 lbs. of lamb to make this stew, and it was full of meat! Also, I used half summer squash and half zucchini. This is a robust stew with a great mix of flavors. I especially loved the addition of the wine, olives and cheese! I have added this to my other stew recipes and look forward to sharing the recipe with my sisters! Thank you for sharing your recipe with us Bluemoon! Made for Newest Zaar Tag 3/09 Linda
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
July 2008 update: VERY happy to be back on Zaar after about a two year absence due to having had no internet connection at home, and having been too unwell for a time so that getting re-connected wasn't even a priority! <br> <br>And really looking forward to getting back into the Zaar world and connecting again with the many wonderful people I knew before, and new people, of course!