Recipe by FloridaNative
From Bon Appétit, August 2009 (by Maria Helm Sinskey). Halloumi is a pleasantly salty Greek cheese that grills well. Posted for ZWT6.
Top Review by weekend cooker
These were absolutely DELICIOUS ! Made recipe with no changes, except added a little more tomato. This is a definate repeat recipe here , so simple and tasty. Made for your win in Football Pool.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 lb halloumi cheese
- 16 mini pita pockets (white or whole wheat)
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, cored, halved, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk 1 teaspoon oil, mint, cumin, and pinch of freshly ground black pepper in medium bowl to blend.
- Add cheese slices; toss to coat. Marinate at room temperature at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover; chill.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Grill pitas until warm and grill marks appear, about 1 minute per side.Transfer to serving plate.
- Grill cheese until grill marks appear and cheese begins to melt, about 1 minute per side. Stack each warm pita with slice of tomato and cheese. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle tomatoes lightly with sea salt.
- NOTE: * Halloumi cheese is available at some supermarkets and at specialty foods stores, natural foods stores, and Greek markets.