Recipe by Olha
Handling Filo Dough: If possible, buy filo that has not been frozen. It can be found in the refrigerator section of most Greek and some Middle Eastern delis. Let the package come to room temperature before opening it. The sheets are easier to work with at room temperature. Remove the sheets you are working with and spray or brush them with oil, butter or non stick cooking spray as quickly as possible. Keep the unused portions covered with a towel or plastic wrap. Work quickly; do not expose reserved sheets to the air or they will dry out and disintegrate. Sprinkle bread crumbs between the layers to keep them from sticking together when they bake; this is particularly helpful if you plan to refrigerate or freeze the recipe before baking. Some cooks work on a lightly dampened towel, but I find it makes the dough soggy.
- 1 stewing chicken, cut in pieces
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped leek
- 1 celery, minced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed in a garlic press
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 4 eggs, beaten until frothy
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- salt and pepper
- 1 (1 lb) package phyllo pastry sheet
- additional butter, for filo pastry sheets
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse chicken pieces. In a large heavy Dutch oven, add 1/4 cup butter. When hot, add the chicken. Cover. Cook, turning without browning, for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken pieces and cool slightly. Remove bones and skin from chicken and discard. Chop chicken meat. Set aside.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a skillet. Add onion, leek, celery, garlic, parsley, and pine nuts. Saute until vegetables are limp.
- Melt remaining butter in a saucepan and blend in flour. Cook 2 minutes. Stir in stock. Simmer until sauce boils. Cool. Stir in cream, eggs, nutmeg, dill, chicken, vegetables, add wine if sauce seems too thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Butter a 12 x 9 x 3 inch baking pan. Line it with 6 sheets of filo, brushing each filo sheet with butter.
- Spread chicken filling evenly over filo sheet. Top with 6 buttered filo sheets.
- Bake at 350°F about 50 minutes, or until golden in color. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve warm. 8 to 10 serving.
- CAI Greek Cookbook.