- Ready In:
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
- 1 lb mushroom, quartered
- 1 large onion, sliced into long thin wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- black olives, sliced
- green olives, sliced
- feta cheese (I buy it in containers so the measurements are never the same-let's say a 3x3x2 piece crumbled)
- Lightly salt and pepper chicken and fry in oil-slice each breast into 4 or 5 thick slices.
- You want it only half way cooked.
- Add tomatoes with juice-spinach and mushrooms.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add onions, garlic and oregano and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Check to see if chicken is cooked through.
- If done add wine and olives and heat through.
- Add half of the feta and remove from heat-toss.
- Offer remaining feta at the table.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Excellent and interesting dish.<br/>I used all the ingredient suggestions but, instead of slicing the chicken breasts I kept them in halves. I did saute' the breasts and then kept them on a warm platter. I then sauteed the rest of the ingredients, except for the cheese. Put the chicken breasts in a 9x13 pan over bow tie noodles, poured the sauce over the chicken and then sprinkled the delicious feta cheese on top. Baked all for approximately 30 minutes at 350 with a cover and then 15 minutes without the cover as I did not cook the chicken all the way when I first sauteed them.. <br/>Very tasty combination of ingredients. I will most definitely be making this again! Thanks for sharing.
We all enjoyed this. Made a few small changes - only used 2 breasts, diced, and didn't have any mushrooms, so I used artichoke hearts. Also, I thought I had a whole container of feta, but only had a small amount, so I also added a good amount of fresh parmesan. I think it would would have been even better with more feta. I left out the olives, because DD really doesn't like them. I wasn't sure of the package sizes, but I used a 20 oz pkg of spinach and a 14 oz can of tomatoes. If I make this again, I'll make sure to use the mushrooms and more feta. I also would put the olives on the side so those of us who like them can add them at the end, because I think the flavor would have been great. Thanks for posting!
This was great! I used fresh spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes, and added a few dashes of hot pepper flakes. The only thing I may change next time is to add more veggies and less chicken - maybe even substitute chickpeas for the chicken and go vegetarian. I thought we'd have leftovers for lunch, but no such luck! Thanks for sharing this one - it's a keeper.