Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my Granny's pound cake. One year my dad took one to work with him. All of the men he worked with were asking him if they could buy a cake from Granny. She sold those cakes for $20 each and had to tell my dad she wasn't making any more before they left her alone. That's how she got her Christmas money that year, and it was a very good Christmas. She passed away about 2 years ago, and I thought this recipe was lost. Fortunately my Grandma had it and now I have it. Here it is.
- DO NOT PREHEAT THE OVEN.
- Mix butter and shortening until lightly mixed.
- Mix sugar in one cup at a time.
- Mix eggs in one at a time.
- Mix milk and flour in alternately.
- Grease bunt pan and pour in batter.
- Put your batter in a COLD oven.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or till toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and then from pan.
- "Sweat" the cake, by wrapping it in wax paper and tinfoil, until it cools. This will make it moist. It won't be anywhere near as good if you don't do this.