Recipe by Stephanie Rex's Wife
This is my Granny's pound cake. One year my dad took one to work with him. All of the men he worked with were asking him if they could buy a cake from Granny. She sold those cakes for $20 each and had to tell my dad she wasn't making any more before they left her alone. That's how she got her Christmas money that year, and it was a very good Christmas. She passed away about 2 years ago, and I thought this recipe was lost. Fortunately my Grandma had it and now I have it. Here it is.
Top Review by Secret Agent
I am sorry but the texture of this pound cake was coarse and crumbly and it was way too sweet. Did not care for it. Sorry. I FORGOT TO UP THE RATING... This pound cake was WAY better the next morning! Toasted it with butter and we gobbled the whole thing up.
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup condensed milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour or 3 cups cake flour
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
Directions See How It's Made
- DO NOT PREHEAT THE OVEN.
- Mix butter and shortening until lightly mixed.
- Mix sugar in one cup at a time.
- Mix eggs in one at a time.
- Mix milk and flour in alternately.
- Grease bunt pan and pour in batter.
- Put your batter in a COLD oven.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or till toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and then from pan.
- "Sweat" the cake, by wrapping it in wax paper and tinfoil, until it cools. This will make it moist. It won't be anywhere near as good if you don't do this.