Recipe by Grannydragon
I have looked though all the caramelized onion dip recipes on zaar. Mine is only a little different, but we find it is an very tasty.
- 2 large onions
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch thyme
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the onions in half, then slice the into 1/8-inch-thick half rounds(You will have about 3 cups of onions.).
- Heat the butter and oil in large saute pan over medium heat. Add onions, cayenne, salt and pepper and saute for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, until the onions are browned and caramelized.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar and thyme and continue cooking until the balsamic has evaporated, about 1 minute. Allow the onions to cool.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl. Beat with electric beater until smooth.
- Then stir in the onions, by hand.
- Taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature. The dip can be made up to this point 3 days ahead; cover tightly, refrigerate.