Grandmother’s Chicken Casserole - Low Carb
- Preparation for Alfredo Sauce:.
- Combine ingredients in saucepan, cook on LOW and stir until it looks and feels like Alfredo sauce. Please never boil this!
- Remaining Ingredients:.
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray rectangular casserole dish or Dutch oven with non-stick spray.
- Cook chicken breasts in stock seasoned with thyme, sage and onion powder until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Let chicken cool, then cut into bite sized pieces and layer in bottom of casserole dish or Dutch oven. Saute mushrooms in a little olive oil , then layer mushrooms on top of chicken. Don’t be afraid to use butter if it’s a matter of taste for you, but this might make it too rich for some!
- Put chicken stock into saucepan and boil to reduce by 1/3. Mix heavy crème with 2 T cold water, then wisk into chicken stock and cook 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Wisk in Alfredo Sauce, and heat, then pour sauce over the chicken mixture in casserole dish or dutch oven. Bake about 25 minutes. Add bacon and Canadian bacon over the chicken. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and BROIL for 5 minutes, until cheese is melted and browned on top. You gotta watch it closely to make sure it doesn’t burn the cheese!
- If you have a lot of sauce left over….cook some zucchini slices on the side and cover them with sauce and fresh cracked black pepper.