After my boyfriends grandmother passed, I was given her recipe book to take down some that looked good to me. This one is a winner. ** Update 3/7- I just made this for the first time myself and realized that in the recipe it calls for milk but it is not listed in the ingredients. I guess I did not record this when copying the recipe so I used about 2 cups to get it creamy like it should be.. however.. I ended up with too much sauce. I used it over chicken later in the week.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons onions, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk, see not in description
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (12 ounce) can Mexican-style corn, drained
- 2 green peppers, small, cut into rings
- Combine beef, oats, tomato juice, egg, 1 tsp salt, pepper, chili powder, and onion in a large bowl. Do not overmix. Pack into a 9 inch square baking dish. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, drain juices.
- Melt butter over medium heat, whisk in flour and 1 tsp salt. Slowly add milk while whisking. Bring to a boil.
- Cook one minute, add cheese.Stir in corn.
- Pour mixture over meat, top with green pepper rings. Bake 20 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes before cutting. Serve.
Great recipe! Loved it! :)
Great recipe! I was looking for one that used oats instead of breadcrumbs, which I found I was out of halfway through! Simple ingredients but great flavor, I think I will use oats from now on! We love southwestern style beef dishes. I added a little green tabasco to spice it up and it was great! Thanks for posting! Grammy had it right! =)
I have my Grandmothers cook book she started writing in 1865. So nice to honor your boyfriends by sending in this recipe!! Thanks! Something alittle different . We really enjoyed this.