PSU Lioness's Note:
I found this in the 2012 "Taste of Home" cookbook. It was submitted by Kathryn Davison of Charlotte, NC.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 (1 ounce) bottles red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 2Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 3Beat in the food coloring, vinegar and vanilla.
- 4Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 5Transfer to two greased and floured 9 inch round baking pans.
- 6Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 7Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 8For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth.
- 9Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 10Cool to room temperature.
- 11In a large bowl, beat butter and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- 12Beat in cornstarch mixture.
- 13Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar.
- 14Spread the frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Red Velvet Cake
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 593.9
- Calories from Fat 306
- Total Fat 34.0 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 114.4 mg
- Sodium 575.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 51.8 g
- Protein 3.7 g