Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this in the 2012 "Taste of Home" cookbook. It was submitted by Kathryn Davison of Charlotte, NC.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 (1 ounce) bottles red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the food coloring, vinegar and vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to two greased and floured 9 inch round baking pans.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Beat in cornstarch mixture.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar.
- Spread the frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.