Grandma's Apple Cake
photo by Wakey lass Lisa
- Ready In:
- 3 ounces butter
- 6 ounces caster sugar
- 1 orange rind, grated
- 8 ounces self raising flour
- 1 lb cooking apple, peeled cored and cubed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 ounce candied peel, chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 handful sliced almonds (optional)
- Grease and flour a 9 inch cake tin.
- Cream butter and orange rind, caster sugar and beat until light and creamy.
- Mix 1 tablespoonful of the flour with apples in a dish.
- Put eggs, milk in bowl with creamed butted.
- Add remaining flour, peel and apples to the creamed mixture; blend well with a metal spoon.
- Turn into prepared tin, sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Cook at 350°F/Gas 4, for 40-50 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve cold as a cake or hot as a pudding with custard, cream or ice cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The grated orange peel gave this cake a very strong orange flavor, which worked out just fine since I didn't have any candied peel on hand. I substituted with some dried cranberries instead, and it was delicious. I could also see skipping the orange peel entirely and possibly substituting that with some cinnamon and adding raisins. The cake stayed nice and moist, and more apples could probably be added to make it even more so. This recipe is definitely fun to play with.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a housewife, married with one daughter who's 14 & we have a lovely English Springer Spaniel called Bramble....along with 3 cats called Rio, Duchess & Alfie (I also feed the waifs & strays) I just loves to cook all kinds of new & exciting foods. I love to cook Spanish, Italian, Indian & traditional. At the moment I'm experimenting with Mexican. I also love Ebay, gardening, SHOPPING, SHOPPING & more SHOPPING I have a number of favourite cookbooks. I love Jamie Oliver, Nigella Lawson & Delia Smith & my FAVOURITES are...... Gordon Ramsay & RACHAEL RAY. I love trawling through the charity shops for old cookery books. I love to travel & my favourite Country is Spain. I love everything about the place! I hope to move to Spain eventually, either around the Costa Blanca or Costa Del Sol areas.