Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I modified this from Grandma's swedish meatball recipe, leaving out several seasonings that didn't seem to suit my family. I have the original 3 x 5 card that she wrote it on. The card is brown and brittle now, but treasured anyway. I'd love for some pioneering type to do this in the microwave and let me know how it works. I've not had much luck with beef in the microwave.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb (seasoned or unseasoned)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten (I use fake eggs)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery (whatever) or 1⁄4 cup raw carrot (whatever)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray your meatloaf pan with cooking spray.
- Mix bread crumbs, salt, milk, eggs and onion in small bowl.
- Set aside.
- In large bowl, mix by hand the ground beef and sausage.
- I usually wear powder-free medical gloves for this step.
- Blend the meats completely and add the contents of the small bowl.
- Continue to blend by hand until uniform in consistancy.
- Put meat mixture in loaf pan and LIGHTLY pack.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and let it rest on a cooling rack for about 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve.