Recipe by Nattymummy
Total comfort food in our family for as long as I can remember. Vary the amounts depending on how firm you like the custard, or how much pasta you like inside. I have changed some quantities and cook time - so hopefully will work out better. Cold weather just starting here, so I'll test it again in the next week.
- 1 cup macaroni
- 5 eggs
- 600 ml milk (or substitute cream if decadent!)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the macaroni in salted water and drain.
- Whisk remaining ingredients together, add macaroni.
- Pour into ovenproof vessel of your choice (I use a Pyrex rectangular dish)sprinkle nutmeg on top and bake for about 45 minutes at 170°C This time can vary depending on the quantity of custard and macaroni. And of course on how firm or soft you want it to set. Note that I tend to just watch the custard, and take it out of the oven when it's set. Depends on how wet the macaroni was, how big eggs are, if I sub cream inches.
- I've made some changes to this recipe (added some eggs, increased heat and cooking time, as well as upping sugar) so hopefully people meet with more success. I posted the recipe as written in Grandma's cook book, but have since experimented and found she must be like famous chefs, never record the actual recipe, in case some one else copies!
- Hoping for feedback about how this version goes.