Cream of Wheat Pudding (From the Mennonite Treasury of Recipes)
photo by puppitypup
- Ready In:
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add 2 tbsp sugar and continue beating until meringue stands in soft peaks and then set aside.
- Heat milk and salt to a full boil, slowly sprinkle in cream of wheat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Beat sugar and egg yolks and very slowly add to hot mixture.
- Continue cooking on low heat for 3 minutes longer.
- Lastly, fold hot mixture into meringue and add vanilla.
- Pour into serving dishes and cool.
- Serve with custard sauce or fruit sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm going to try this. I loved my grandmother's hot cereals and puddings. She made a lot of English dishes (like boiled dinners, lamb roasts) and used to make a Farina pudding for our family of 9 that she used whipping cream in, not milk (yes, decadent). She used lady fingers to line a large bowl, made the pudding and put it in the bowl. We either had it with fruit (like crushed strawberries) or drizzled with chocolate syrup. I wish I had the recipe. This one sounds close. I'll let you know. If I can get it right, then this grandmother will pass it on to her own 35 grandchildren!