Creamy Cream of Wheat Cereal With Maple Syrup and Bananas
photo by COOKGIRl
- Ready In:
- 1 small banana
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk (the more fat in the milk, the creamier it will be)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cream of wheat (also known as farina)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup (can use 1/3 cup)
- 1 banana, sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted (good to sprinkle on top) (optional)
- cereal cream or milk
- Chop (don't mash) enough banana to equal 1 cup (I just use one small banana for this).
- In a saucepan, combine 2 cups water with milk and salt; bring to a boil.
- Gradually whisk in cream of wheat, and continue to whisk constantly until the mixture thickens (this will take about 4 minutes).
- Stir in maple syrup and chopped banana into the cereal and mix to combine.
- Divide into serving bowls and top with sliced banana and toasted almonds if desired.
- Pour on cream or milk on top of the hot or warm cereal.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
MMmmmmmm!!!! Delicious!!! I made mine in the microwave so followed the directions for the amount of liquid (using half water half skim milk). I think the thing I enjoyed most about this cereal is the fact that the banana is chopped not mashed. Since cream of wheat is so smooth as it is, the chopped banana added some texture which was great. I also really enjoyed the almonds on top (I didn't toast them, just coarsly chopped whole almonds). I had to use light pancake syrup instead of the maple syrup but it was still delicious. The banana/maple flavor was outstanding. This is a definite must make again soon recipe!!!! Thanks!!