Recipe by randimiller
Grandma's secret: To make this a filling meal, Grandma usually served this soup with fresh bread. For a slightly different twist, serve it in individual bread bowls. I'm thinkin' this could easily be done in the crock pot.
- 3 medium red potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- crushed red pepper flakes
- ground black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cooked ham, cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Bring water to a boil in large saucepan. Add potatoes and cook until tender.
- Drain, reserving liquid. Set aside potatoes.
- Measure 1 cup cooking liquid, adding water, if necessary; set aside.
- Peel and finely chop onion. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion to saucepan; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and tender, but not brown.
- Add flour to saucepan; season with pepper flakes and black pepper to taste. Cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, milk and sugar to onion mixture in saucepan; stir well. Add cheese and ham.
- Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Store leftovers, covered in refrigerator.