1 hr 5 mins
Grandma's secret: To make this a filling meal, Grandma usually served this soup with fresh bread. For a slightly different twist, serve it in individual bread bowls. I'm thinkin' this could easily be done in the crock pot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 2Bring water to a boil in large saucepan. Add potatoes and cook until tender.
- 3Drain, reserving liquid. Set aside potatoes.
- 4Measure 1 cup cooking liquid, adding water, if necessary; set aside.
- 5Peel and finely chop onion. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- 6Add onion to saucepan; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and tender, but not brown.
- 7Add flour to saucepan; season with pepper flakes and black pepper to taste. Cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- 8Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, milk and sugar to onion mixture in saucepan; stir well. Add cheese and ham.
- 9Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 10Store leftovers, covered in refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Kitchen Hearty Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.2
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 36.6 mg
- Sodium 131.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 8.6 g