1/1 Photo of Grandma's Famous Creamed Onions Au Gratin
The Spice Guru's Note:
My grandmother's original recipe for Creamed Onions, which she served on every holiday.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 14 ounces frozen petite whole onions, thawed (Birds Eye)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh leaf thyme
- 1/3 cup cream or 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard (or prepared horseradish)
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch white pepper
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon thinly snipped fresh chives, to garnish
- 1THAW 1 (14 ounce) bag Bird's Eye Frozen petite Whole Onions; LET drain; MINCE 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves; GRATE 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese; SET aside.
- 2MELT 2 tablespoons butter in a 1-2 quart saucepan over medium heat; ADD drained onions; RAISE heat to medium-high; STIR onions constantly as they cook, until they begin to caramelize.
- 3SPRINKLE 2 tablespoons flour over onions; STIR for for 1 minute.
- 4DEGLAZE onions with 1/3 cup dry white wine; ADD the minced thyme; STIR, scraping the bottom, until wine evaporates.
- 5REDUCE heat to medium-low.
- 6ADD 1/3 cup cream or half and half; STIR until sauce is warmed and thickened.
- 7SEASON sauce with 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard (or prepared horseradish), 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg, 1 pinch ground white pepper, and kosher salt, to taste.
- 8REMOVE from heat; ADD the grated cheese; STIR until cheese is completely melted.
- 9GARNISH with thinly snipped chives and SERVE.
- 10GET READY to melt into your seat after just one taste!
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Famous Creamed Onions Au Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.8
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 52.1 mg
- Sodium 150.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 5.5 g