My grandmother's original recipe for Creamed Onions, which she served on every holiday.
Make and share this Grandma's Famous Creamed Onions Au Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 14 ounces frozen petite whole onions, thawed (Birds Eye)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh leaf thyme
- 1⁄3 cup cream or 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard (or prepared horseradish)
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch white pepper
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thinly snipped fresh chives, to garnish
- THAW 1 (14 ounce) bag Bird's Eye Frozen petite Whole Onions; LET drain; MINCE 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves; GRATE 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese; SET aside.
- MELT 2 tablespoons butter in a 1-2 quart saucepan over medium heat; ADD drained onions; RAISE heat to medium-high; STIR onions constantly as they cook, until they begin to caramelize.
- SPRINKLE 2 tablespoons flour over onions; STIR for for 1 minute.
- DEGLAZE onions with 1/3 cup dry white wine; ADD the minced thyme; STIR, scraping the bottom, until wine evaporates.
- REDUCE heat to medium-low.
- ADD 1/3 cup cream or half and half; STIR until sauce is warmed and thickened.
- SEASON sauce with 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard (or prepared horseradish), 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg, 1 pinch ground white pepper, and kosher salt, to taste.
- REMOVE from heat; ADD the grated cheese; STIR until cheese is completely melted.
- GARNISH with thinly snipped chives and SERVE.
- GET READY to melt into your seat after just one taste!