Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
My grandmother's original recipe for Creamed Onions, which she served on every holiday.
Make and share this Grandma's Famous Creamed Onions Au Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 14 ounces frozen petite whole onions, thawed (Birds Eye)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh leaf thyme
- 1⁄3 cup cream or 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard (or prepared horseradish)
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch white pepper
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thinly snipped fresh chives, to garnish
- THAW 1 (14 ounce) bag Bird's Eye Frozen petite Whole Onions; LET drain; MINCE 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves; GRATE 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese; SET aside.
- MELT 2 tablespoons butter in a 1-2 quart saucepan over medium heat; ADD drained onions; RAISE heat to medium-high; STIR onions constantly as they cook, until they begin to caramelize.
- SPRINKLE 2 tablespoons flour over onions; STIR for for 1 minute.
- DEGLAZE onions with 1/3 cup dry white wine; ADD the minced thyme; STIR, scraping the bottom, until wine evaporates.
- REDUCE heat to medium-low.
- ADD 1/3 cup cream or half and half; STIR until sauce is warmed and thickened.
- SEASON sauce with 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard (or prepared horseradish), 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg, 1 pinch ground white pepper, and kosher salt, to taste.
- REMOVE from heat; ADD the grated cheese; STIR until cheese is completely melted.
- GARNISH with thinly snipped chives and SERVE.
- GET READY to melt into your seat after just one taste!
We made this for Thanksgiving 2010 and it rocked! I highly recommend it if you love creamed onions. We had never made them with cheese but it was really great! They will be on the table again this Christmas!
This will make my Christmaas table this year for sure!