Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This cobbler is a very smooth and custard-like dessert that is DELICIOUS. Grandma always made this for us because it was very easy and economical. Serve piping hot from the oven with vanilla ice cream melting over the top. This is an unbelievably delicious dessert! You can also substitute almost any other fruit for the peaches.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup shortening or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cream or 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can peaches, reserve all juice
- Cream together 1/2 cup sugar with shortening, cream, and vanilla.
- Add flour, milk, baking powder and salt; mix well until smooth.
- Pour batter into greased 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Place sliced or chopped peaches evenly over batter.
- Sprinkle top with 1 cup sugar (yes, a whole cup!).
- Mix peach juice with enough water to measure one cup and bring to a boil, then pour evenly over the top of the pan. (This will look wrong and very watery, but trust me!).
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes or until top is light golden brown.