Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Southern English Pea Salad is something my Grandmother made almost every Thanksgiving and Christmas to go along with the meal. It is very simple, but tasty.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans peas, drained
- 1 cup diced American cheese or 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos, cut into small pieces
- 4 diced hard-boiled eggs
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, quartered long way (to garnish)
- 1 cup Miracle Whip (increase as necessary)
- salt, to taste
- It is important that you let the salad stand in the refrigerator for at least an hour or so, otherwise, it will not taste right as the onions are the only thing that flavors the dressing.
- Grandma always made it with Miracle Whip, but if you are one of those folks who despises the taste, you can substitute mayonnaise with 1-2 tablespoons of sugar added. You can also, add in 2 Tbsps Hormel real bacon bits for extra flavor.
- Mix all. Let stand for a minimum of two hours in the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle top with paprika for garnished look.
- Cook time is chill time in refrigerator.
Thanks for posting, this is exactly how my mom makes it, and with her work sked I haven't been able to catch her, I knew I would recognize it if I saw it...mainly needed measurements. Now I can make it for her this year! Definitely Southern and well loved here in Texas! Happy Holidays!! =)
This is the salad my aunt used to make. It is one great salad, by Texas standards. I used spanish paprika. Thank you so much.