Sweet Pea Salad
My friend gave me this recipe several years ago, when our families attended a 4th of July picnic together. I have made it many times since then, and it's always a favorite whenever I make it. The recipe makes quite a bit, so it's one of my favorite dishes to take to potlucks, picnics and other gatherings with large crowds. The recipe would fit a lot of party themes, as the ingredients represent various continental cuisines, from the Asian inspired chestnuts to the Brazilian cashews. But it is the smokey Dutch-influenced gouda cheese that adds a wonderful Mediterranean flair to this great picnic salad. Cooking time does not including chilling time (as that can vary greatly).
- Ready In:
- 4 (16 ounce) bags frozen sweet peas (not thawed)
- 8 ounces sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 8 ounces smoked gouda cheese or 8 ounces edam cheese, cubed
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sliced cashews
- Place peas, chestnuts, celery, onion, and cheese in a large salad bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the sour cream and sugar until well blended. Add the sour cream mixture to the salad, then season with salt and pepper. Toss thoroughly with a large spoon.
- Place in refrigerator for several hours (or overnight is ideal). Add the cashews just before serving, and toss well to thoroughly blend all ingredients.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Delicious! This is a wonderful salad full of all kinds of delicious goodies. I scaled the recipe down, but after tasting it -- I should have made a full batch since it keeps so well in the fridge. The only change I made was to sub smoked gruyere as that is what I had on hand. Will definitely make this salad again - DH & I loved it! Made for ZWT9 Scandinavia, August, 2013.