Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
Adaption Note: Ground pork wasn’t used as a part of the original recipe and cracker crumbs were used to coat the meatballs instead. Servings Note - 26 servings based on approximately 5 meatballs per person.
- 5 1⁄2 lbs lean ground chuck
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 2 lbs bacon, fried crisp & finely crumbled (reserve the drippings)
- 2 cups finely diced green peppers
- 2 cups finely diced celery
- 5 large onions, finely diced
- 1 (24 ounce) container plain breadcrumbs
- 6 (14 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 (32 ounce) containers beef broth
- mushroom, sliced and slightly browned (optional)
- Mix the meats thoroughly together.
- Add in all the diced vegetables mixing well.
- Salt and pepper to your family's tastes.
- Add bread crumbs until the mixture is very slightly sticky to the hand/fingers.
- Heat up the leftover bacon drippings over medium heat.
- Roll the meat mixture into golf ball size meatballs then roll them in plain bread crumbs.
- Place them in the bacon drippings, browning all sides.
- When completely browned, place on a paper towel to drain and cool.
- At this point, you can use a slow cooker or a roasting pan.
- Fill the pan with the soups and the beef broth, whisking to mix thoroughly and get rid of any clumps.
- Add mushrooms if desired.
- Add all the meatballs and heat thoroughly.
One word....COMFORT! We all really enjoyed these over rice the other night for dinner. A real winner! I did cut down the recipe size for a family of 6. Followed the recipe except omitted green peppers as I didn't have any so doubled the celery. One other note - I cook my bacon in the oven on a cookie sheet. So...instead of frying the meatballs in the bacon fat - I drained most of the bacon fat off the cookie sheet and placed the raw meatballs on it. I baked them at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Then I put them in the crockpot. Thanks for sharing! I think this is my new favorite Swedish Meatball recipe! Made for the October 2009 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.