Chef #577660's Note:
This is my grandma's adaptation to a recipe from a magazine called the "Farm Journal." I'll also list an easier Fudge Frosting I found in reference to this recipe on the internet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs, unbeaten
- 3 unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups ice water
Date Cream Filling (recipe follows)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Fudge Frosting (the original 1959 version)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 unsweetened chocolate squares, grated
- 1Cream together very thoroughly the shortening, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and beat after each addition until light and fluffy. Beat in chocolate which has been slightly cooled.
- 2Measure sifted flour and sift together with soda and salt. Alternately add sifted dry ingredients and iced water to chocolate mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. After each addition, beat until batter is smooth.
- 3Pour batter into 3 greased 8-inch layer cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees about 35 minutes, or until done. Cool and spread date cream filling between the layers and chocolate fudge frosting over top and sides.
- 4Date Cream Filling:.
- 5Heat milk and 1/2 pound chopped dates in top of double boiler.
- 6Combine sugar, flour and egg, blending until smooth. Slowly stir into hot milk mixture.
- 7Cook and stir until mixture is thickened. Cool then stir in nuts and vanilla.
- 8Makes 2 cups.
- 9Fudge Frosting (the original 1959 version):.
- 10Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Boil over high heat 3 minutes without stirring. Reduce heat and continue cooking until it reaches soft-ball stage (238 degrees). Cool.
- 11Beat until creamy and of spreading consistency. Add cream if too thick.
- 12Fudge Frosting (the easier 1972 version):.
- 132 cups sugar. 1/4 teaspoons salt. 1 cup light cream. 2 tablespoons light corn syrup. 2 squares unsweetened chocolate.
- 14Combine sugar, salt, cream, corn syrup and chocolate. Cook over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cover saucepan for 2-3 minutes. Remove lid and cook to the soft-ball stage (234 degrees). Cool.
- 15Beat until spreading consistency. Add a little hot water if too stiff, sifted confectioners sugar if too thin.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma Deuel's Ice-Water Fudge Cake W/ Date Cream Filling &
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 713.0
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 85.7 mg
- Sodium 384.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 111.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 81.4 g
- Protein 9.3 g