Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the ultimate comfort food! The flavor comes from the all-natural ingredients and the preparation techniques. You will not be sorry you took the time to make this!
- 78.07 ml butter
- 236.59 ml onion, diced
- 236.59 ml celery, diced
- 236.59 ml carrot, diced
- 236.59 ml frozen peas, set out on counter to defrost
- 236.59 ml potato, diced
- 118.29 ml wheat flour or 59.14 ml cornstarch, for gluten-free
- 473.18 ml chicken broth (homemade or best quality store bought)
- 236.59 ml half-and-half
- 78.07 ml dry white wine
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 14.79 ml fresh thyme, chopped
- 0.25 ml nutmeg
- 709.77 ml cooked chicken (use roasted or rotisserie to save time, if preferred) or 709.77 ml cooked turkey (use roasted or rotisserie to save time, if preferred)
- 1 pie crust (use your favorite recipe or store bought)
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat large pan to medium.
- Add butter and saute onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, and dash of salt and pepper for 10-15 min, until onions are translucent.
- If using flour as thickener, add flour and stir into mixture for 1 minute.
- If using cornstarch as thickener, add cornstarch to small amount of half-and-half and stir till combined.
- Combine half-and-half, broth, and white wine and gradually stir into sauteed veggie mixture.
- Cook over medium heat and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Add meat, peas, salt, pepper, thyme, and nutmeg and stir well.
- Pour into a 2-quart casserole dish and top with pie crust.
- Cut 3 slits to allow steam to escape.
- Beat the egg and use a pastry brush to generously apply egg to pie crust top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- * Can be made ahead and kept in the fridge up to two days before cooking or kept frozen for approximately 30 days. Defrost in fridge before baking. If making ahead, brush egg on pastry before dish goes into the oven.