Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups macaroni (625 ml)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (60 ml)
- 1⁄4 cup flour (60 ml)
- 2 cups milk (500 ml)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 ml)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (5 ml)
- 1⁄2 lb processed cheese, cubed (250 g Velveeta)
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream (150 ml, fat free is fine)
- 1 1⁄3 cups cottage cheese (325 ml)
- 2 cups old cheddar cheese, grated (500 ml)
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs (375 ml)
- 2 tablespoons butter (30 ml)
- Cook and drain macaroni and place in a 2 1/2 quart (2.5 L) greased casserole.
- Melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour; mix well.
- Add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sauce thickens.
- Add salt, sugar and cheese. Mix well.
- Mix sour cream and cottage cheese into sauce.
- Pour sauce over macaroni. Mix well.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese and crumbs over top. Dot with butter and sprinkle with paprika. May be frozen at this point.
- Bake at 350F (180C) for 45-50 minutes.
This was good macaroni. I didn't have cottage cheese and I used old cheddar instead of Velveeta cheese. The sour cream added a nice flavor. Thanks!