Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This soup just seems to make that cold just go away. Can be made lower-carb by substituting eggplant for the potatoes--it's actually the original recipe, but my family prefers potatoes. As well, you can replace the italian sausage with any ground meat.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage, uncased
- 4 cups potatoes, cubed & peel-on
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (32 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- In stock pot, fry meat.
- Add potatoes, onion, fennel, garlic, and salt. sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil.
- Reduce to simmer for two to three hours. Add water to desired consistency.