Recipe by Chef Heather
This is the homemade version of the famous rolls you can buy at the mall. For best results, serve fresh out of the oven.
Top Review by Andys Wife
Did you know I can make cinnamon rolls?! I never could, Now I can! Thank you Chef Heather! I took pics of every step after the easy to handle dough. I was just sure I would screw them up, somehow! I didnt, they were perfect! I wouldnt shame them with comparing them with the mall ones. These are better! I almost did the "butter" idea, Im glad I didnt, they were perfect w/o all the extra fat. I am trying Pecans with them tonight, Grandma used to do it that way is the only reason. I made them the night before, wrapped tight in plastic in fridge overnight, (See how juicy they were?) Had them rise in the AM for an hour, baked, PERFECTION!
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 0.5 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding, box
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- milk, just enough to brush over the dough
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Place ingredients in machine following the specifications of that particular machine. Set for dough cycle.
- After complete on dough cycle, remove from machine and roll out to about 17x10" rectangle.
- Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Moisten the dough by brushing with milk.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon mixture over top.
- Roll tightly from long end, pinching edges closed when completely rolled.
- Slice rolled dough into 1/2" slices (or larger if a larger bun is preferred).
- Place into greased cake pans or a cookie sheet. If using cake pans, use 3 9" pans. Let rise until doubled.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes, until golden. Do not overbake.
- Frosting: Spread on very warm rolls. They are best when eaten fresh, but we have found that 10-15 seconds in the microwave rejuvenates them.