That popular NZ confectionery...something your kids will enjoy making and you will enjoy taste testing! Copycat recipe to the candy sold/known as "Hokey Pokey."
- Bring the sugar and the golden syrup to the boil, slowly stirring all the time.
- Boil for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add soda.
- Stir in quickly until it froths and pour at once into a greased tin.
- Break up when cold.
- Store in an airtight tin.
Mmmmm.... such an easy recipe. I made this while I was babysitting my neice and nephew. The first batch didnt have time to cool off. 2nd batch we had to make double. Will be making this often.
I am rating this as this is similar to my recipe I double the recipe 10 tbsp. white sugar.4 tbsp. corn syrup, 2 teaspoons baking soda. I also when cooking when sugar is dissolved and starts a full rolling boil...bubbling across the top set the timer to three minutes. Remove immediately, add soda, stir down,...secret to this is to pour out onto a jelly roll pan with a silicone sheet, no buttering, just cool and lift right off, and break into pieces.
I love Hokey Pokey just a couple of little hints ......
1. Mix together the golden syrup and sugar before you put it on the heat dont ask why but it seems to make the Hokey Pokey cook better.
2. Try to put your pot in water straight away after you get the Hokey Pokey out work fast this way there is very little left in you pot -really easy to clean.