1/1 Photo of Golden Couscous
Caramelizing the onions is what brings out extra flavor to this dish --- adjust the amount of cayenne pepper to suit heat level, make certain that the chicken broth is *hot* before adding to the recipe :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 44.37 ml butter
- 44.37 ml olive oil or 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped (or use 2 large onion)
- 4.92 ml brown sugar
- 14.79 ml fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 14.78 ml turmeric
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 4.92-9.85 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 709.77 ml couscous
- 1419.54 ml hot low sodium chicken broth
- 177.44 ml currants
- 118.29 ml slivered almonds
- seasoning salt (to taste) or white salt (to taste)
- 1Bring the broth to a boil; cover with a lid to keep hot; set aside.
- 2In a large skillet melt the butter with oil over medium-high heat.
- 3Add in chopped onions with 1 teaspoon brown sugar; sauté stirring until light golden brown (about 15 minutes).
- 4Add in the garlic, cayenne, turmeric, cumin and ground black pepper; stir for 2 minutes.
- 5Add in couscous and stir until coated with the onion mixture.
- 6Mix in the hot broth and currants; cover with a lid.
- 7Remove from heat and let stand for about 10-15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- 8Fluff with a fork then mix in the almonds, then season with salt and more ground black pepper if desired.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 457.0
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 102.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 14.5 g