1/1 Photo of Golden Cornish Game Hens for 2 (Bacon-Herb Bread Stuffing)
1 hr 30 mins
Elegant dish for special occasions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon dried savory, crushed or 1/2 teaspoon fresh savory
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules or 1/4 teaspoon vegetable bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 Cornish hens, washed and patted dry
- cooking oil, to brush
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1Cook bacon until crisp.
- 2Remove bacon from pan, crumble; set aside.
- 3Drain pan of all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease, and saute carrots and celery in the reserved grease until tender (about 5 minutes).
- 4Add bacon, savory, thyme, and pepper; mix in bread crumbs.
- 5Dissolve bouillon in hot water, and drizzle over the bread mixture.
- 6Toss lightly.
- 7Season cavities of hens with salt, then lightly stuff with the bread mixture.
- 8If birds have neck skin still attached, pull it to each bird's back and secure with a small skewer.
- 9Tie legs to tail, and twist wing tips under back on each.
- 10Place hens breast side up in a shallow roasting pan.
- 11Brush with cooking oil and cover loosely with foil.
- 12Roast at 375°F for 30 minutes.
- 13Combine wine, butter, and orange juice.
- 14Uncover birds and baste with wine mixture.
- 15Roast uncovered for another hour (until done), basting twice with wine mixture.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Cornish Game Hens for 2 (Bacon-Herb Bread Stuffing)
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 754.6
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 243.7 mg
- Sodium 1120.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 61.2 g