Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Elegant dish for special occasions.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried savory, crushed or 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules or 1⁄4 teaspoon vegetable bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 Cornish hens, washed and patted dry
- cooking oil, to brush
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan, crumble; set aside.
- Drain pan of all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease, and saute carrots and celery in the reserved grease until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add bacon, savory, thyme, and pepper; mix in bread crumbs.
- Dissolve bouillon in hot water, and drizzle over the bread mixture.
- Toss lightly.
- Season cavities of hens with salt, then lightly stuff with the bread mixture.
- If birds have neck skin still attached, pull it to each bird's back and secure with a small skewer.
- Tie legs to tail, and twist wing tips under back on each.
- Place hens breast side up in a shallow roasting pan.
- Brush with cooking oil and cover loosely with foil.
- Roast at 375°F for 30 minutes.
- Combine wine, butter, and orange juice.
- Uncover birds and baste with wine mixture.
- Roast uncovered for another hour (until done), basting twice with wine mixture.
Exception recipe and an impressive meal for guests!!!
Really Delicious!!! Not as difficult as it sounds either, actually it was really easy.