Cook1 hr 30 mins
Elegant dish for special occasions.
Make and share this Golden Cornish Game Hens for 2 (Bacon-Herb Bread Stuffing) recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried savory, crushed or 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules or 1⁄4 teaspoon vegetable bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 Cornish hens, washed and patted dry
- cooking oil, to brush
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan, crumble; set aside.
- Drain pan of all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease, and saute carrots and celery in the reserved grease until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add bacon, savory, thyme, and pepper; mix in bread crumbs.
- Dissolve bouillon in hot water, and drizzle over the bread mixture.
- Toss lightly.
- Season cavities of hens with salt, then lightly stuff with the bread mixture.
- If birds have neck skin still attached, pull it to each bird's back and secure with a small skewer.
- Tie legs to tail, and twist wing tips under back on each.
- Place hens breast side up in a shallow roasting pan.
- Brush with cooking oil and cover loosely with foil.
- Roast at 375°F for 30 minutes.
- Combine wine, butter, and orange juice.
- Uncover birds and baste with wine mixture.
- Roast uncovered for another hour (until done), basting twice with wine mixture.