Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is one of the few Indian pork dishes. Pork was introduced to the Goans by the Portugese who settled there. It is very good and the smell from the kitchen when it is cooking is wonderful.
- 15 whole red chilies
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 6 cloves
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1 inch fresh ginger, and grated
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp (or juice from 1/2 lemon)
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 lbs pork, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 15 curry leaves
- Seed the chillis and crush to a paste with the spices, garlic,tamarind and vinegar.
- Rub the spice mix into the meat and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil and fry the onions till brown, add the spice mix with the meat and 2 tbsp water, fry for 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water and salt to taste, cook till meat is tender.
- Add the sugar and curry leaves simmer 3 minutes.