Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Nebraska Husker favorite! Very moist and yummy! Courtesy of Karen Bressler.
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup red food coloring
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Sift together salt and flour.
- Make a paste of of coloring and cocoa.
- Cream sugar and shortening, add eggs and then add paste.
- Add buttermilk and flour alternately.
- Blend baking soda and vinegar in cup until it foams.
- Add to the vanilla batter.
- Bake in 3 layer pans, greased and floured.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
- Frost with Big Red Cake Frosting!
From one Husker Fan to another, this is our favorite!!! We have been stationed in FL now so this cake is eaten for days! That's ok, I can still pretend I'm tailgating outside Memorial Stadium!! Thanks so much for sharing! GO BIG RED!!