Recipe by YummySmellsca
Garlic and Herb Breadsticks anyone? These treats are packed with garlic - both in the gluten free, vegan dough and in the infused oil brushed on risen sticks before baking. Vampires beware! **The dough makes a fantastic pizza crust too!**
- 4 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 500 g gluten-free flour, mix (I used mine -- Artisan Gluten-Free Flour Blend)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- warm water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 minced fresh garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 pinch ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the yeast, sugar and warm water in a small bowl and let stand 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer) whisk together the flaxseed, flour, garlic powder and guar gum.
- Add the foamy yeast mixture to the bowl and mix for 3 minutes with a sturdy spoon (or using the paddle if using a stand mixer).
- Add the oil and salt from Column C to the bowl and mix until the dough comes together into a soft ball and feels somewhat elastic. (If the dough feels too dry, add the warm water in small amounts until the dough feels right.).
- Set the dough aside in a warm place and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Deflate dough and knead briefly in the bowl. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 375F.
- Combine the oil, garlic and herbs in a small bowl.
- Divide the dough into 18 balls and shape into breadsticks (I found it easiest to treat the dough like playdough and squeeze tubes with my hands).
- Place shaped sticks on a parchment lined sheet and brush with the garlic oil. Let rise 30 minutes.
- Bake the breadsticks for 20 minutes. Cool at least 15 minutes before enjoying!