Recipe by mayness
This was one of the best types of stuffing I have ever had, so I wanted to remember exactly what I did! I used Wegmans store brand "sage pork sausage" but you could use a breakfast sausage, and perhaps add a little extra dried ground sage. If you need this to be gluten-free, be sure to check ALL your ingredients, including the sausage!
- 1 loaf udi's gluten-free white bread
- 1 lb sage-flavored pork sausage
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop bread into 3/4" cubes.
- Optional: if bread is very fresh, put in the oven at 250F for about 10-15 minutes to slightly harden.
- In a large skillet, crumble sausage and cook until browned.
- Remove cooked sausage from pan, leaving drippings behind.
- Add 2 tbsp butter to pan.
- Add onion and celery, and cook over medium-low heat until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine bread, sausage, vegetables, and poultry seasoning. To prepare in advance, stop here and refrigerate.
- Mix the eggs into the chicken stock.
- Pour this liquid over the bread mixture and gently stir to mix.
- Pour from bowl into greased 9x13" baking pan.
- Cut remaining butter into small cubes and sprinkle over the stuffing.
- Bake at 375F until crispy on top and liquid has all absorbed into bread, about 35 minutes.