This is in a French bread style, Pumpernickel bread, It makes wonderful little slices great for sandwiches such as Ruben's. I used Almond milk, though coconut cream and regular whole milk work fine as well. Also if you don't have all all these gluten free flours lying around you can use a pre mixed flour blend. Such as King Authors gluten free flour blend or Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour. I also added 1/3 cup flaxseed meal for a bit more of a bite and mouth feel or regular pumpernickel bread, as well as a handful of both shelled sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup milk, of your choice warmed to about 110
- 2⁄3 cup coconut flour
- 2⁄3 cup garbanzo flour
- 2⁄3 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup cornstarch or 1 cup potato starch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses (not blackstrap)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg white, beaten, for egg wash
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 teaspoon of the sugar in the milk. Set aside to foam, about 5 minutes. Generously grease a French bread pan or a 5x9 loaf pan.
- In the large bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer, combine all the remaining ingredients except for the egg wash. Add the remaining sugar and yeast mixture and beat on low speed just until blended. Then beat on medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula, if necessary. The dough will be soft.
- Divide the dough in half and place in the prepared pans. Smooth each half into a 10-inch long with a wet rubber spatula, or wet hands. Brush the top of each loaf with the egg wash for a nice crust. Make three diagonal slashes (1/8 inch deep) in the top of each loaf so steam can escape durning baking.
- Place on the middle rack in a cold oven. Set the oven to 425?F and bake until nicely browned. 30-35 minutes. ( sometimes longer ).
- Remove the bread from the pans and let cool completely on a wire rack. Slice and enjoy.