Recipe by Elana's Pantry
I chose to go with a messy "action" photo of this crumble to demonstrate just how much my husband liked it! He came home from work and devoured the section you see missing above. I was somewhat surprised since it was another one of my experiments making a purely fruit sweetened dessert. While this crumble is not as easy to make as my usual desserts, it's super healthy and also deliciously satisfying. http://www.elanaspantry.com/blueberry-cherry-crumble/
- 4 cups fresh cherries, pitted
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 8 dates (large and pitted)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3⁄4 cups blanched almond flour
Directions See How It's Made
- For filling, place cherries and blueberries in a 3-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle fruit with lemon juice and vanilla, and then toss in arrowroot.
- To make the crumble, place 8 dates, ½ cup water and 1 tablespoon oil in a vita mix and puree on high until smooth.
- Pour date mixture into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add almond flour, salt and baking soda and mix well to combine.
- Crumble the topping over fruit mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until bubbling.
- Uncover and bake a few more minutes until topping is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.