Recipe by fairybreadgirl
My kids favourite cookie recipe, it's gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free but definitely not taste-free (my kids can spot a fake a mile off!!) The dough is delicate to handle but well worth the effort. It's from Allergy-Free Cooking for Kids by Antoinette Savill. I've suggested some brand names that are available in Australia.
Top Review by Elynnhull
This recipe is amazing. Gluten, dairy and egg free, and they taste so good! My kids Loved them. I used Better Batter as my flour blend and I found it necessary to add about a 1/4 cup more flour than called for. In order to get each cut cookie onto the baking sheet I pressed down the cookie cutter and then slipped a spatula under each cookie using the cookie cutter to kind of push the cookie up onto the spatula. Then I transferred them onto the cookie sheet each in turn. Using that method I was able to make all types of shapes including large fancy snowflakes with little cut outs.
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot
- 2 1⁄2 cups gluten-free flour (eg Orgran)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 185 g vegan margarine (eg Nuttelex)
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder, mixed with
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sunflower oil, and
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- icing, and decorations (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the arrowroot, flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream the margarine, sugar and vanilla together in another bowl.
- Beat the baking powder, oil and water mixture into the margarine and gradually blend in the flour mixture.
- Bring the dough together into a ball with your hands, flatten and divide into quarters. Roll out one piece thickly on a clean and floured board with a floured rolling pin.
- Cut our your favourite animal shapes (or any cookie cutters you like) and carefully transfer them onto ungreased non-stick baking trays.
- Bake them in the centre of the oven for about 8 mins at 190C or 375°F.
- Remove the trays from the oven and leave the cookies to cool on the trays for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks.
- Decorate with icing as desired or eat plain.
- Makes about 30 (depending on size).