Recipe by Ninna
From Australian Woman's Weekly Italian Cooking Class Cookbook. This is such a great dinner party dessert. Looks great served in stemmed glasses.
- 4 oranges
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup water, extra
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel strips thinly from 2 oranges; remove any white pith from strips with the point of a sharp knife; cut strips into thin julienne strips.
- With sharp knife, peel oranges removing all white pith; cut oranges horizontally into 4 slices for easy serving; reshape oranges and hold together with small wooden skewers.
- Place orange strips in small pan, cover with water, bring to boil, boil uncovered 10 minutes, drain; combine sugar and water in pan, stir over medium heat until sugar has dissolved; add orange strips to this mixture.
- Boil the syrup gently, uncovered, approximately 10 minutes or until orange strips are transparent and glazed; remove strips immediately from pan, place on lightly oiled plate.
- Return pan to heat, boil syrup uncovered further 5 minutes or until syrup turns pale golden brown; remove from heat immediately, quickly add extra water, stir for a few minutes to dissolve toffee.
- Return to heat and stir for a few minutes extra to dissolve any remaining toffee in bottom of pan; remove from heat, allow to cool a few minutes then stir in Grand Marnier and lemon juice; allow syrup to cool 5 minutes.
- Pour cooled syrup over oranges, add glazed orange strips, cover with plastic food wrap, refrigerate several hours or overnight; remove wooden skewers from oranges just before serving; serve orange topped with the orange strips and with some of liqueur syrup.
- Serve with whipped cream separately.