Cook1 hr 30 mins
If you like lemons - this is the cake for you! It reminds me of summertime so that's when I usually make it. I got this recipe from TOH and haven't changed anything. We like it the way it is. Times are approximate.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in extracts.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Stir in lemon peel.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a serving plate.
- Cool 10 minutes longer.
- Combine glaze ingredients.
- Drizzle over warm cake.
- Cool completely before serving.