Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are the ultimate soft and chewy Ginger Snap cookies! I constantly get requests and compliments on these cookies. I received this recipe from a friend and I have doubled and tripled this recipe for larger batches. These cookies freeze excellent. Enjoy!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, on a plate for later
- Mix the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves well and set aside.
- In another bowl mix with a beater 1 to 2 minutes the sugar, margarine, egg and molasses.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix by hand.
- Take one good size tablespoons of dough (or more to make a bigger cookie) and roll into a ball.
- On a plate put at least a 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Then roll the balls into the sugar.
- Bake at 350 on an ungreased cookie sheet (air-insulated type is the best) for 10 to 12 minutes.
I just made these and my husband keeps sneaking one after the other - let them cool completely and you will find they are crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. I added some orange zest and crystalized ginger to some of the batch. I added 1 tsp of ginger instead of 1/2 tsp because I love ginger!!! Will definitely make these again.
Made these after tasting one in the holiday market in NYC. It brought back wonderful memories from childhood!
The cookies were really tasty! They were a bit too doughy in the middle, though, but still very good! Rather than rolling the dough balls in sugar, after they were baked, I sifted icing sugar on them. Thanks for the recipe! :D