Recipe by Katherine in Alberta
These are the ultimate soft and chewy Ginger Snap cookies! I constantly get requests and compliments on these cookies. I received this recipe from a friend and I have doubled and tripled this recipe for larger batches. These cookies freeze excellent. Enjoy!
Top Review by GingerNut
WOW! I just made these... first attempt of my life at Gingersnaps and I picked the right recipe! Had no idea how to tell if they were done so just did them 12 mins and once they cooled they were AMAZING! Love the texture and taste. I decided to brew a fresh cuppa to enjoy them properly and what a treat! Thanks so much for sharing this one, going in my favourites to pass on to my daughter! :D
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, on a plate for later
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves well and set aside.
- In another bowl mix with a beater 1 to 2 minutes the sugar, margarine, egg and molasses.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix by hand.
- Take one good size tablespoons of dough (or more to make a bigger cookie) and roll into a ball.
- On a plate put at least a 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Then roll the balls into the sugar.
- Bake at 350 on an ungreased cookie sheet (air-insulated type is the best) for 10 to 12 minutes.