Gingerbread Scones (Gift Bag)
- In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, salt, soda, cloves and nutmeg. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- For each gift, measure about 1-3/4 cups of the mixture into a self-sealing plastic bag or airtight container. Seal bags or containers. Include recipe directions for scones with each gift.
- Recipe Directions: Pour gingerbread mix from gift bag or container into a medium bowl.
- Make a well in center of dry mixture. Combine 1 beaten egg, 2 tablespoons milk, and 1 tablespoon molasses; add to dry mixture. Stir just until moistened. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.
- Quickly knead dough by folding and pressing it gently for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is almost smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough into a 6-inch circle. Cut into 6 wedges. Plae wedges 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with milk; sprinkle with coarse or granulated sugar. Bake in a 400°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are brown. Serve warm. Makes 6 scones.
- Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare Gingerbread Scones as directed through step 1. Store in an airtight container up to 6 weeks at room temperature or in a freezer container up to 6 months in the frezer. (Or prepare scones as directed through step 3. Cool completely. Place in self-sealing freezer bags or arrange in layers separated by waxed paper in a freezer container. Seal, label, and freeze up to 3 months.).
- To serve, using 1-3/4 cups of dry mixture for each recipe, prepare scones as directed in step 3. (Or thaw frozen scones in freezer bags or containers at room temperature.).