Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
this is more or less pieced together from various recipe ideas while in search of the saut-after starbucks ginger bread loaf.i modified for my own personal taste and consistancy for matching the starbucks recipe...i think this hits the nail on the head...hope you enjoy , hope you enjoy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 packet yeast (this can be deleted if so desired)
- 1⁄4 cup hot water, 105 to 115 deg,if using yeast,i found it useful in building the desired density of the gb loaf (whether you use this or not....either way it is a wounderful treat)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1⁄4 cup of diced candied ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Dissolve baking soda into applesauce and mix into creamed butter.
- Add flour mixture.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into a loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes (I do 45 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out just slightly sticky.
- Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Gradually beat in confectioner's sugar.
- Frost cake when it is completely cooled.
- Decorate with chopped candied orange peel or candied ginger.
me & my family made this for christmas dinner.It's simply delicious!You can't get enough of it!Thanks so much for the recipe!