Recipe by justcallmetoni
As one of those people who eat oatmeal 3 or 4 times a week, I am always looking for was to make my daily bowl more interesting. This recent invention was quite wonderful and sophisticated in flavor. Not a kid dish as the ginger adds a bit of spice, use more or less if you are inclined.
Top Review by FLKeysJen
Wonderful and sophisticated is the perfect description! The ginger flavor is quite strong, which I loved, but I imagine most people would want to use less. I cut the peach segments in thirds so they would be bite-sized. I cooked the oatmeal in the juice and that made it sweet enough without adding sugar. Thanks to Toni for sharing your creation!
- 1 cup oats
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger or 2 tablespoons candied ginger, fine diced
- 1 cup canned peaches in juice
- sugar (optional) or sugar substitute, to taste (optional)
- milk (optional) or yogurt (optional) or cream, to taste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to boil in a small saucepan; add oatmeal and cook 1 minute (if you want you can use the peach juice as part of your 2 cups of liquid).
- Add finely chopped ginger to the pot (be sure to cut small as it swells quite a bit); continue to cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add peaches and cook oatmeal until desired doneness, about 2-4 minutes depending on your grain and eating preferences.
- Serve topped with sweetener, milk, yogurt or cream, again according to your tastes.