Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
In the February 1995 issue of Better Homes and Gardens this recipe is proclaimed to be the BEST carrot cake ever!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 3⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 3⁄4 cup mixed dried fruit (bits)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
Orange-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon orange juice or 1 tablespoon apricot brandy
- 4 3⁄4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda; Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs' stir in carrot, oil, dried fruit bits, and ginger.
- Stir egg mixture into flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Orange-Cream Cheese Frosting:.
- In a large bowl combine, cream cheese, butter and orange juice or brandy.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Gradully add 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, beating until mixed.
- Gradually beat in enough of the additional 2 3/4 cups sifter powdered sugar to make of spreading consistency.
- Stir in finely shredded orange peel.
- ASSEMBLE CAKE:.
- Fill and frost cake layers with frosting.
- If desired press toasted pecans onto the side of the cake.
- Cover loosely and store cake or any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
I have a really good carrot cake recipe that I've made for 30+ years. I always get raves about it. But I have to say this tops that one! So moist and delicious. Once I forgot to buy dried fruit, so substituted golden raisins. It was the best ever. Now everyone request this cake from me.