1 hr 10 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
In the February 1995 issue of Better Homes and Gardens this recipe is proclaimed to be the BEST carrot cake ever!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup cooking oil
- 3/4 cup mixed dried fruit (bits)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Orange-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 3Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
- 4In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda; Set aside.
- 5In a medium bowl, beat eggs' stir in carrot, oil, dried fruit bits, and ginger.
- 6Stir egg mixture into flour mixture.
- 7Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 8Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean.
- 9Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans.
- 10Cool completely on wire racks.
- 11Orange-Cream Cheese Frosting:.
- 12In a large bowl combine, cream cheese, butter and orange juice or brandy.
- 13Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- 14Gradully add 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, beating until mixed.
- 15Gradually beat in enough of the additional 2 3/4 cups sifter powdered sugar to make of spreading consistency.
- 16Stir in finely shredded orange peel.
- 17ASSEMBLE CAKE:.
- 18Fill and frost cake layers with frosting.
- 19If desired press toasted pecans onto the side of the cake.
- 20Cover loosely and store cake or any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.6
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 79.8 mg
- Sodium 190.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 61.0 g
- Protein 4.4 g