Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In the February 1995 issue of Better Homes and Gardens this recipe is proclaimed to be the BEST carrot cake ever!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 3⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 3⁄4 cup mixed dried fruit (bits)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
Orange-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon orange juice or 1 tablespoon apricot brandy
- 4 3⁄4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda; Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs' stir in carrot, oil, dried fruit bits, and ginger.
- Stir egg mixture into flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Orange-Cream Cheese Frosting:.
- In a large bowl combine, cream cheese, butter and orange juice or brandy.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Gradully add 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, beating until mixed.
- Gradually beat in enough of the additional 2 3/4 cups sifter powdered sugar to make of spreading consistency.
- Stir in finely shredded orange peel.
- ASSEMBLE CAKE:.
- Fill and frost cake layers with frosting.
- If desired press toasted pecans onto the side of the cake.
- Cover loosely and store cake or any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.