Prep 5 mins
Cook 27 mins
I've used this recipe for almost 25 years. Cut it out of a magazine right after I was married.
- turkey giblets
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup turkey fat, skimmed from turkey drippings (***)
- 1 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- To make giblet stock, combine giblets and water in saucepan; simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove giblets and chop finely.
- In separate saucepan stir together the fat and flour until blended.
- Stir in broth, giblet stock, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, stirring, 5 minutes until mixture thickens and no raw flour taste remains.
- Stir in chopped giblets.
- Cook 2 minutes until heated through.
- ***If not enough fat from drippings, add melted butter to equal 1/2 cup.
Really liked this! I have never made nor had giblet gravy prior to this. In fact, I don't like giblets but we smoked a turkey and I was determined to have gravy with my potatoes so figured: what the heck. It was easy and tasty; no leftover!